Founded in 2013, Arnergy is a high growth off-grid energy company based in Nigeria with ambition to expand to other emerging markets.
The business is scaling fast and is already among the leading players in this space. Arnergy is backed by a stellar group of investors
which includes Breakthrough Energy Ventures (https://www.b-t.energy/),EDFI ElectriFi (https://www.electrifi.eu/),
the EU’s energy impact fund, Norfund (Norway’s DFI) https://www.norfund.no/ and All On (Shell’s Nigeria impact fund)https://www.all-on.com/.
Come join Arnergy’s and help improve distributed energy reliability to businesses and homes
in Nigeria and beyond. This is a terrific opportunity for a highly motivated, inspirational,
entrepreneurial and talented commercial operations leader to join our c-suite. As our Chief
Commercial Officer, your key responsibility is ensuring the integrated commercial success of
the organization. Your role requires a combination of strong technical solution selling skills
with strong marketing, sales, channel, and business development skills. As the Chief
Commercial Officer, you will take ownership of the customer and the customer interface with
the company’s product and service offering, making sure that all functions of the organization
are aligned to meet its strategic commercial objectives. You will also lead the customer
experience & marketing, retail and marketplace teams in drafting, implementing and
evaluating cross-functional decisions that will enable the company to achieve its long-term
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Industry/role specific: Excellent understanding of the utility industry and experience in
evaluating and implementing renewable energy services to customers. Solid
understanding of the renewable energy marketplace.
- Financial acumen: Strong financial acumen and managing organizational P&L. Ability to
generate revenue tied to specific P&L objectives while concurrently building business
model maturity and capability.
- Strategic acumen: Ability to formulate flexible and adaptable strategies to achieve
organizational goals by understanding the organization's capabilities and externalmarket conditions, the regulatory environment and technological advancements.
Strategic design capabilities towards short and long-term strategies/programs that are
scalable and efficient.
- Leadership: Ability to maintain a work environment and develop staff actions and
activities with a focus on the future along with a sense of urgency towards current
business activities that should align with the anticipated future business climate.
- Emergency management and business continuity: Ability to make decisions and
develop innovative approaches to deal with frequent change or unexpected events.
- Stakeholder management: Ability to develop relationships with regulatory,
government and business leaders. Seasoned experience influencing internal and
external stakeholders with skill and diplomacy.
- Execution: Ability to manage and allocate financial and people resources to execute
operational and business plans. Working professional knowledge and application of
ZOHO One tools.
- Risk management and internal controls: Advanced understanding of risk management principles that are related to developing and executing customer-facing strategies. Understanding of critical internal controls needed to comply with regulatory standards.
- Client focus: Ability to determine the strategic business direction to best meet clients evolving needs. Core focus on continued service excellence by evaluating and analyzing departmental decisions that impact customer advocacy.
- Prior experience in managing the sales organisation
- A visionary and has a positive outlook of life
- A person of good judgment, tactful and diplomacy
- Collaborative mindset and entrepreneurial spirit
- You deliver against set objectives while operating on some occasions in stressful situations
- You deal with shifting priorities and issues inherent to a high growth organization
- Your ability to communicate both in written and oral presentations
- A person of influence - can convey and concretize thoughts, ideas and opinions aligned to the philosophy and brand of Arnergy.
- A pertinent university degree and MBA or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience and at least five years in a senior management role
Strategy & Leadership
- Support the shared vision and act as a change agent by utilizing various change
management techniques to enhance business process and operational excellence.
- Define and execute revenue and commercial strategy for the organization under the
Management and board approved P&L objective.
- Retain, secure, and grow revenues while meeting Management approved P&L objectives
from target markets in a fully competitive renewable energy marketplace.
- Provide strategic direction and plans for the company with regard to all commercial
functions including sales, the retail, marketplace, marketing, and customer experience.
- Represent the Company and develop relationships with regional regulatory,
government, institutional and business leaders.
- Maintain working relationships with governmental officials, senior management from
industry-related partners, manufacturers, distributors and suppliers, counterparts from
the broader renewable energy community.
- Support the CEO, and other company executives on matters pertaining to marketing and
customer activities, and ensure all functions are operating together effectively to achieve
the corporate objectives and KPIs.
- Provide guidance in evaluating commercial and Industrial energy storage system
projects, integrated grid projects and distributed generation systems.
Sales (Direct & Indirect)
- Develop and maintain regional and national channel strategies for distribution,
partnership, sales, and installation of Arnergy products across all customer verticals.
- Develop annual sales plans and projections per region and per market verticals.
- Develop annual marketing plans per region and per market verticals.
- Develop and manage Go-to-Market Strategy and work cross-functionally to define
measurable objectives and key results for short- and long-range planning purposes,
constantly reporting on metrics and driving transformation by leveraging data.
- Support the development and implementation of pricing strategy for Arnergy.
- Develop and execute an inclusive proven sales personnel commission structure that
drives performance towards exceeding corporate KPIs.
- Provide leadership and guidance to key account managers, sales managers, technical
sales managers, distributors and channel partners in all market segments using ZOHO
- Plan and coordinate the implementation of business plans and the penetration of new
markets with focus on multi location enterprise clientele.
- Develop a market feedback mechanism regarding competitive offerings, prospect needs
and generate product development ideas.
- Monitor and review all documentation required for requests for proposals (RFPs).
- Build solid relationships with customers, vendors and distributors, as well as sales and
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of company offerings and expert industry knowledge to
identify and exploit profitable business opportunities.
- Coordinate the research of emerging trends and recommend new product offerings to
satisfy customers’ needs
- Lead development of a robust marketing strategy with an emphasis on building top of
mind awareness, creating brand equity, gaining significant market share.
- Build and maintain marketing planning functions of capacity and revenue forecasting,
communicating with customers about financing options (working closely with Finance,
financing partners and channel partners), and identifying competitive intelligence that
support marketing, financial planning and integrated resource planning (IRP) needs.
- Determine the omnichannel approach and identify the appropriate media mix and
messaging to deliver marketing campaigns to Arnergy’s customers.
- Create opportunities for Arnergy’s customers, markets, new industry developments and standards to align with and advance business goals.
- Develop recurring sector, channel distribution and direct sales focused customer engagement forum with a strategic below the line marketing outcomes.
- Lead the development of a robust ROI driven trade show and exhibition schedule.
- Build and operate a state of the art customer centric customer experience processes to
ensure every interaction between customers and the organization.
- Develop and implement strategies to improve the net promoter score (NPS) of the
- Manage Arnergy’s Sales Organization on ZOHO One - including, but not limited to, the
core sales operations, customer acquisition, contact center, customer experience and
merchant acquisition to ensure sales targets are met and exceeded.
- Lead efforts to broaden the scope of market segments served by Arnergy, creating
marketing flexibility and instilling responsive and timely delivery of Arnergy products
- Develop collaborative working relationships within the organization in pursuit of the
overall business goals.
What we'll provide
- A globally competitive remuneration package, performance bonus,health insurance.
- A dynamic, innovative, enabling work environment that stimulate creativity.
- An opportunity to work with the brightest mind in the industry.
- A chance to be part of the team that will build Nigeria and Africa's future.
Note: In a situation where there are two qualified persons, a female or a candidate from a “minority” group will be chosen.